Monday, September 7, 2015

Love Neighbor





Tying back to last time

Last week we discussed the Great Commandment in the Law, namely, that we are to love the Lord our God with all our heart, all our soul, and all our mind.

After looking at other texts that paralleled this one (Matthew 22:34-40), we came to understand that the emphasis was not on delineating particular ways in which we love God (heart, mind, soul, strength, might, etc), but rather to emphasize that we are to love God with all of our everything. 

That being said, to think about how we can practically love God, we divided our thoughts into three categories, thoughts, feelings, and actions.

What does loving God look like?

I think it is key to note that Jesus says the second commandment is like the first. Perhaps this means that we show our love of God through the love we way we love those who bear the image of God. 

Love of others is portrayed throughout Scripture as being of paramount importance. (see Leviticus 19:17-18; Matthew 7:12, Romans 13:8-10, Galatians 5:14, James 2:8). 

Love sums up everything that God commands of us. How can we love? We have to be in relationship with the God who is love. Apart from Him we can do nothing.

Loving our neighbor in thought, feeling, and action

How can we think more lovingly about our neighbors, those who are around us? How do we look at people? As annoyances, inconveniences, or those who intrude upon our peaceful lives? Or do we view persons as those created in the image of the almighty God? Do we look at others as those for whom Christ came and shed His precious blood?

When our thinking is aligned with God's word, and we are thinking about our neighbors lovingly, this should affect the way we feel about our neighbors. Do I harbor bitterness, anger, jealousy, or prideful spite? Or do I, in humility, consider others better than myself? Do I look upon others as inferior to me, or superior? Do I feel about them the way I would want to be felt about?

Finally, actions. Do I treat others the way I want to be treated? Am I kind? Do I help the needy, or am I more concerned about looking out for my own interests? Perhaps most importantly, do I pray for others?

No comments:

Post a Comment